Monday, March 24, 2014

CrossFit - 1 Month Review

It's been a little over a month now and things are going really well with my CrossFit adventure.

You could take my word for it or ask my wife, but when I find something I enjoy I tend to go off the deep end with it. Obsess. I love learning about it, reading about it, talking about it.

In the past "it" has been gym time, cycling, triatalon (didn't last so long, I really don't like swimming), photography (fun hobby but the business part sucked the life out of me), golf (expensive and not as healthy), and now CrossFit.

Cycling is still a passion of mine and now that we are getting into spring I'll be doing that a few times a week but I really do love the CrossFit workouts.

You have to enjoy working out, and working out hard to like it. The workouts totally kick my ass most days, but at the end when people say "that sucked", you can translate it into, "that was hard as hell but I'm glad I was here and I pushed through it".

And sometimes is means both. The first workout I did after the fundamentals class was the hardest one I've done, and it will probably stay that way. Have 50 burpees in a workout, just starting out was a total shock to the system.

It's been a month now and I'm feeling stronger.
I look forward to 8pm each day when I can see what the next days workout will hold.
And I look forward to the day when I have the endurance to do more. Each day is a step in the right direction. Rome wasn't built in a day and the body and lifestyle I want can't be either.

With the varied nature of the workouts, different movements each day and ways to challenge myself against both myself and others at the box, I don't think this will be a fleeting passion. I really don't think this will be another "it", something I do for a bit and move on. One thing about my last "it", golf, was that I spent A LOT of time taking lessons, practicing and playing. And I got better. Some better. But it was a struggle, and it was mind boggling compared to other things I'd done. The more I'd cycled in the past, the better I got. Proficient, stronger, etc. The same with swimming, or running. And I get that improvement factor with CrossFit. The more times I lift the barbell the better I get. (and my coaches are there every day to check on form and make sure we understand how the movements are supposed to go). So with the variation and improvement I believe that I'll be a CrossFitter for a long time.



CrossFit's motto is "Forging Elite Fitness". I don't know how elite I'll ever get but I know that I can get a lot more fit. It's hard as hell, but it's equally as fun.

I'm looking forward to what the second month will bring. If you have any questions, leave them in the comments. I'll try to answer them, or point you in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment