Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Be Thankful Today - Tomorrow's Not Guarenteed

I'm so thankful that this is not the post it could have been.
I was on the phone with my mom last night and she said, that's strange your dad just got home, and its only 7:30. He usually doesn't get home from riding until between 8:30 and 9.

He picked up the phone as well (because that's how we roll, we all talk at once, its just simpler that way right?) to which I asked, how was your ride?

He proceeded to tell us that they never got to ride because of an accident. He was the first one to get to where ever his group meets at and he had just pumped up his front tire and was proceeding to get ready and pump up the back tire. He was standing next to the rear tire of his truck at that point and heard a very loud noise. He turned and looked and there was a truck careening right towards the tailgate are of his truck. he turned and tried to move but even though things seemed in slow motion they were moving fast.

We're so lucky that the truck hit his truck just a foot from where he was standing. He only got a few cuts (not deep) on the back of his leg form the grill of one of the other cars. His shorts pockets and jersey pockets (gym shorts still on at that point) were full of glass from the shattered windshield of the other vehicle.

What he says he thinks happened according to the police is that a car ran a stop sign and then had a collision with this other truck that sent it his way.

It could have been so much worse, just another few feet and he would have been hit, possibly killed. At this point we don't know what the verdict of his truck is, it is drivable. Or his bike, the wheel is warped and we're not sure of structural integrity of the frame right now.

How scary. I'm more than thankful that the lord wasn't ready to take my father. I have a great relationship with my parents and that's something else that I'm so grateful for. We talk almost daily, we spend a good deal of time together and I couldn't have better influences in my life than my mother and father.

Be thankful for what you have today. And let the people you love know it. Tomorrow's not guaranteed. Live your life with no regrets.

1 comment: