Thursday, June 16, 2011

I'm BACK in the Saddle again!

After nearly a year without doing much riding I've finally climbed back on and am having a blast.
I've ridden the past 4 days, and have gotten over 150 miles in so far this month. I know its not a ton, but all things considering, I'm feeling good.

Tuesday night was my first ride back with the B group that I rode with so much 2 years ago and just a bit at the beginning of last summer. One of the guys said when we got there that he had a hilly route planned out, unless someone didn't want to do it.

Shit! Did I want to ride a hilly route in my first ride back with the gang, no, but did I say anything, heck no, bring on the pain. Or some of you might know HTFU.

Off we went, and my goal was to hang at least 10 miles with the group, I honestly didn't know if I'd be able to stay with them any longer or even that long, b/c I didn't want to slow their ride down tremendously. They usually stop and regroup at turns, but I told them if I was way way back to not worry about it, because we were on roads I was somewhat used to.

Okay, that wasn't entirely true, I know the area pretty well but we rode some roads I'd never been on before and I know that it was probably the hilliest route that I've ever rode with these guys and I've done 30+ rides with them. I put parts of the route in map my ride and one of the hills we went on near the rock quarry had a section of >10% grade.

I was with the group pretty solid until a bit after 10 miles and I ended up getting dropped on the climbs about 5 or 6 times, but I didn't get spit out far enough that they didn't wait. I rolled up to the turns at most a minute after the middle of the pack and finished the ride with everyone. It was a great 28 miles and they joked, but its true, that rides like that will whip you into shape fast. I'm glad my legs responded to the challenge.

Wednesday night I was going to do around 10 easy, but the route turned out to be close to 14 and I was feeling good so I pushed a little bit.

I made up for that tonight, I wanted to keep my average under 15 to recover. I was shooting for somewhere in the 13ish range and accomplished my goal, and ended up with a 14.2 average for 15 miles.

I'm taking tomorrow off and then riding the a training ride Saturday. The loacl bike MS event has 10 shop sponsored training rides throughout the summer, and granted I have to work 2 of them ( I try to ride those too), I like to go out and support the shops and get a marked route, with a few hundred folks and a supported rest stop for free.

My legs have come around quicker than I thought they would and I'm excited to be riding again.

Until next ride, stay loco!

2 comments:

  1. I'm totally going to have that song in my head for the rest of the night :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! My bike and I have been hanging out a lot on the weekends and I love it. I just need to get on it during the week and the world would be perfect.

    Enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete