Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Saturdays Ride

While my ride Saturday was nothing like what my friend Ben aka Becoming Timberman went through in his epic triathlon, it was still a tough ride.

I rode with TOSR(the other Saturday ride) and after I decided that I was going to do a longer ride Saturday i was actually hoping that they would do the Caraway Mountain Ride. I haven't done to much hill work this year and thought it would be a good idea to get some in. I really thought I'd be fine for that ride.

I guess my first mistake was wanting to go ride a 50 mile ride with a mountain in it. My second mistake may have been getting out of bed Saturday. Where did all that wind come from? Its never a promising sign when the five day forecast says WINDY on it, but that didn't stop me from getting up and getting excited to go out for a ride.

I led us out of the church parking lot and then pulled into my place in the pack. That would be the last time I pulled the whole day! Honestly I knew from about mile 5 that I wasn't going to be one of the stronger riders on the day. To start with my legs were a little sore from the new weight lifting routine, I rode the soreness out but I just never felt strong the entire day. I managed to ride mid pack right until we hit the 1.4 mile climb at Caraway. Its not terrible steep it just goes up for a nice long way. I rode up the climb in next to last position and caught another rider right at the summit. Thankfully there was a store stop at the bottom of the mountain.

After fueling up with an oatmeal cream pie and a Gatorade we were off again. I think the next five "rolling" miles were worse than the mountain and actually rode at the back or off the back of the group for a while. We stopped to regroup at some stop signs and at some point after mile 35 I was back about mid pack. One of our riders got a bee in his Jersey and he stopped to get it out so I stopped and helped him ride back to the back 1/2 of the split group(not like I was superman but helping out never hurts, its good to build the good bike karma up).

The group is a B group and our average is usually around 17 for the rides, but with the brutal wind(gusts of 25-30mph) and the hills we ended with a 15.8 average. I really thought that was pretty damn good for the conditions and the way I felt. And the way I felt when I finished that ride is the way I felt for the rest of the day, and most of Sunday too. I can't really remember another ride taking the toll on me the way that one did. I usually take a nap Saturday afternoon after riding and I didn't get that in so that might have something to do with it but last year I rode 3 mountain madness, hurt pain and agony and a century ride and didn't feel that beat down. I thought I did pretty good with eating/drinking so maybe it was just the combination of everything catching up to me and a hard ride that really took its tool. My next scheduled ride is Friday this week and I'm going to get in about 20-25 solo miles. Its going to be a busy weekend, but not with training.

Saturday I'm golfing with my 2 best friends in the morning and making sure I get the nap this time before my bachelor party Saturday night.

Sunday my tri team is having an open water swim clinic, pic nic and 5K. I will be eating and taking photos for everyone else. I don't know how I'd feel about trying to swim or run on Sunday after a late night Saturday.

Until Next Ride...

3 comments:

  1. all this reading about triathlons is making me want to get a better bike (my specialized hard rock sport that i got when i was 14 has served me really well- and still does, but not exactly triathlon material) and give them a try. (or a tri?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're wanting to give a tri a shot, but don't want to shell out the money on a bike I think you'd probably be okay with a short sprint or super sprint tri. If you want to upgrade your bike to do some regular riding as well I think its a fine idea to look for a entry level road bike. Good luck with what ever you choose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around here most of the super sprint or "Try a Tri"s allow mountain bikes but as soon as you go to the sprint, you need to have a road bike. So we'll see what ends up happening.

    ReplyDelete