Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Mirror

I am in what I like to call the wedding training phase of my year right now. My wedding is only 45 days away and I'm getting very excited. I'm so lucky to be marrying the most wonderful girl in the world. I can't imagine anyone more loving and caring than Tara. I'm also lucky that her family is amazing too. I've heard horrer stories about the "in-laws", but I love my future in laws. Bring on the wedding (and not to mention 10 days in Hawaii!!)

I would like to drop a bit of weight before the wedding just for peace of mind, but honestly its not a necessity. Although I haven't lost much weight in 2010 I believe that my body has changed for the better. My stomach has is my main problem area and although I don't have firm measurements to back up my thoughts and peoples comments, it seems that my stomach has gotten smaller this year.

I know that I've put in a lot of time working out and I can positively say that I am in the best athletic shape of my life. Its nice to hear my fiancee, my parents and others say that I look like I've lost weight because I have but I've also gained some muscle this year. I saw a quote recently on a friends facebook page and it really resonated with me.

"Define yourself by what you see in the mirror not what you see out your window."

It was kind of funny timing because a few days before I was looking in the mirror and thought to myself, that while I still have work to do, I am actually happy with my body right now.

Happiness shouldn't be measured in perfection, it should be measured on accomplishments and when accomplishments are met new goals can be set. So while I'm far from making it to the cover of Men's Health I am happy with where I'm at and that makes it easier to set new goals and have renewed intensity to working out. I know that with the training I'm doing for cycling, swimming, and running, along with the weight training that I'm on the right track with my workouts. I just need to ensure that my diet stays good 7 days a week not four or five.

I am proud of the fact that I lost nearly over 50 pounds in 2007 and that I've kept all but about 5 pounds of that off. I was really unhappy at over 250 pounds and managing a restaurant and I worked hard to change careers and then my body. I've had that kind of success along with all the athletic achievements so I know its possible to stay dedicated and meet my future goals.

My next post will detail my ride from this past weekend where me and the roubaix rambled at the back of the pack for much of the day. Some days you've got it some days you don't I guess.

Until next ride....dream big & work hard!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your 50 lb weight loss! That is an incredible accomplishment and to have kept almost all of it off is even bigger!

    The attitude you have is great and one I should emulate. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete