Sunday, February 28, 2010

Indoor Triathlon #2 - Success!!

Today was my second indoor triathlon and if I say so myself it was a success!

My start time was at 11 but since I was already up I headed on over to the Spears YMCA around 9:30. I got their got checked in and spent some time just getting settled in. I talked to some friends for a while and watched some swimming, biking and running. I talked to my coach for a bit and then went to get ready for my start time.

The indoor Triathlons consist of a 10 minute swim, 20 minute bike, and 20 minute treadmill run. So its a timed triathlon that takes place indoors as opposed to the outdoor ones that have a preset distance.

I've already completed one indoor tri this year and I hoped to improve a little bit in this one. My main goal was to swim 400 yds in the 10 minute swim and then just see what was left in the tank for the other two disciplines.

I started off a little to fast and know that I can work on that before my next indoor tri. I did have to switch into back stroke some while in the pool and my hopes for the next time is to be able to swim mostly freestyle for the whole time. But I still was able to swim 400 yds! I improved by 75 yards from last time.

I got into the exercise room and set my bike up then got started. Well, I thought I set my bike up correctly, after about four minutes I had to hop up and raise the seat one notch but after that everything felt great. I rode 6.10 miles in 20 minutes and was the 5th male in cycling.

I started the run pretty conservatively with the plan to increase speed every minute. I started at a speed of 5.0 on the treadmill and before 10 minutes was up I was at speed 6.0(thanks coach for coming in and telling us to go, it would be over soon!). I kept pushing the speed and ended up at a speed of over 7 with a sprint for the last minute.

My distances today were:
Swim -400 yds(+75 from last time)
Bike - 6.10 miles (+.22)
Run - 2.05 (+.2)

I'm really glad that the Triad Tri Team put on these indoor triathlons because its a great way to get started in the world of triathlon. They offer some good experience and I hope they'll help me prepare for the Whitelake Sprint Triatlon (5/2) that'll be here before you know it.

The next event on the calender is the ING Georgia 1/2 Marathon on Sunday March 21st.

I hope everyone had a great weekend

Until Next Ride...

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete