Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Plunge

The Plunge
So I took the plunge today. I signed up for a triathlon that I’ve wanted to do for the past 2 years. Never mind the fact that I’ve never done a triathlon before, I’m going to do it. I have wanted to do the Beach to Battleship tri since its first year in 08. I signed up for the 2010 edition which will take place on November 13th. Triathlons intrigue me, always have. That’s probably why, at around this time every year for the past three or four that I’ve thought about doing them. The problem used to be I didn’t swim, I hadn’t biked enough in a long time and I didn’t run. Then it became I didn’t run or swim, after this year its just I don’t swim very well. If you know me, you know that I enjoy a challenge and something to train for. I really like having a goal, something new to achieve. I’m enjoy running more now that I ever have, I love biking, its my passion and I’m not particularly fast at either. But I enjoy the experience and the accomplishment of completing a challenge. I just want to finish this triathlon ( and hopefully a few other shorter distance ones in 2010). The Beach to Battleship offers to options the Iron Distance and the Half Iron Distance. I will be attempting the ½ Iron Distance, that’s plenty for me to take on. It consists of a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and a 13.1 mile run (1/2 Marathon). The biking and running are not a big concern for me. I will train all year in biking and running for other events, it’s the swimming that’s going to be my biggest challenge. My friend and possibly my future coach Susan Duncan recommended a swim clinic to me a few weeks ago and it starts the first week of January. Its 2 meetings a week for 8 weeks and will culminate in being prepared for one of the Triad Tri Teams indoor triathlons. I am very excited about starting the swim clinic and hope to get some good tips and really be able to dig into some swim training. After all, I’ll have 11 months to really get ready for the B2B tri.
Beach to Battleship starts with the swim in a channel connected to the Intracoastal Waterway at Wrightsville beach. From there the bike leg of the event will take us to Wilmington to the Battleship and from there it will be a 13.1 mile run finishing back at the battleship.

So there you have it. I’ve signed up and am really excited to do this. In 2009 I ran my second marathon(and possibly the last, but never say never) and biked over 2,300 miles including some epic mountainous rides a century or 100 mile ride in October. 2008 was my first really great year in accomplishments of the athletic type and I followed up with some more fun and amazing accomplishments. I have a few things penciled in for 2010 in addition to the B2B tri, including:

Climb MS: New York City(2/28) a stair climbing run up the 66 floors of the Rockefeller Center in New York. Its business and pleasure since I will be hosting a Climb MS: Power up the Tower in Winston Salem in march. www.climbMStriad.org (you should sign up for it, it’ll be a fun challenge)
Indoor Triathlon(very first one!) - March
ING Atlanta ½ Marathon in March
Getting Married in June 
Devil’s Fork Metric Century (cycling) – July
Few options for September still in the air
Cannonball ½ Marathon or Baltimore ½ Marathon in October
& the biggie for the year!! Beach to Battleship 70.3 in November

I will be posting weekly(ish) recaps of my training and other thoughts here in the blog. Wish me luck & take the plunge in your own personal challenge. It doesn’t matter it its walking a mile, running a 5K, going to the gym 2 days a week or cycling 100 miles. Take the plunge, get started training, you’ll have a blast at the finish and an incredible ride to get there!
Until next ride,
Derek

No comments:

Post a Comment